I could not be more honored to serve as the President of the Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM). I am lucky to be surrounded by an incredible and diverse group of educators who are serving in a variety of roles on our board to make FCTM the remarkable organization that it is today. During my term, I hope FCTM will accomplish great things. Through collaboration with our Board of Directions, we have developed five priorities that will help guide us we continue to make FCTM a forward thinking organization aimed at supporting mathematics education in Florida:
- Revamp our website and brand to be more user friendly and appropriate for today’s mathematics educators in Florida.
- Continue to support our current affiliate groups and work to increase the number of mathematics education leaders across Florida.
- Re-establish our role as a leader in providing input on mathematics education policy to the Florida Department of Education and the State Board of Education.
- Work with The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) in planning the 2017 NCTM Regional Conference that will be held in Orlando, Florida.
- Update and share the Florida Standards Presentations that were developed by the FCTM Board of Directors and consider development of additional modules.
I deeply appreciate the opportunity to lead this incredible organization. If I can be of any service to our members, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Zachary Champagne is an Assistant in Research at the Florida Center for Research in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (FCR-STEM). He previously taught for thirteen years as an elementary school teacher with a specialization in math and science. During this time, he received many state and national awards for excellence in teaching, including the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, Duval County Teacher of the Year, and Finalist for Macy’s Florida Teacher of the Year. Zachary is very active with local, state, and national organizations as a founding member and Past-President of the Duval Elementary Mathematics Council (DEMC), Past-President of the Florida Mathematics Presidential Awardees Association (FMPAA), and long time Board member of the Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM). He is also serving on the editorial board of Teaching Children Mathematics, an elementary mathematics journal published by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).